Tuesday, March 2, 2010

EXPECTATIONS FOR THIS YEAR...Views from panellists in Wa (MIRROR, PAGE 31, JAN 23, 2010)

I am happy that at least all our efforts to get more women empowered is receiving some attention.
Now the Government for instance is being gender sensitive and that is manifested in the appointment of more women into leadership positions. There is the Speaker of Parliament and the Attorney General including some female ambassadors.
It is my expectation that more women would receive support this year to be able to participate in political activities particularly at the district level in the assembly. I expect to see more women empowered in various ways this year and placed in positions which would enable them to deal with more issues bordering on the welfare of women.
I also wish that at least the Government would introduce special packages for brilliant female science students this year. Even though we keep harping on compulsory education for children of school age, there are still a number of children not in school and roaming the streets doing one thing or another.
For me, I do not think that enough has been done over the years to attract more children into schools.
It is in this vein that I suggest that we make the construction of libraries in our communities an issue of paramount interest this year. Here, I would want to suggest that we involve communities and NGOs to assist with books and other materials to stock the libraries.
As Ghanaians, we must all lend our support in this direction since government alone cannot do it all.

Life was a bit difficult getting to the latter part of last year, and so it is my expectation that at least this year will see a very buoyant economy that will empower Ghanaians financially to enable us meet our basic needs.
I would also want to see the Government put in more effort in its drive to create more jobs especially for the youth of the country. It must reduce the rate of unemployment and also deal with the crime situation in the country.
Job creation and getting more of the youth into productive ventures is very crucial and dear to my heart. When more and more people are busy and using their time productively, no one would indulge in armed robberies among other crimes.
I also expect that this year, some attention would be given to people in small scale businesses by providing them with subsidies and soft loans to enable them expand and sustain their businesses.
I wish that this year, people would come to appreciate the need to insure their lives and properties so that they do not incur any losses when the unexpected happens.
At presently, as life insurance has been separated from general business by the SIC, It is my hope that people would also take advantage and plan for their future with insurance products by preparing very well especially for their retirement needs.
I expect that the country would continue to remain more united than it did last year and also deepen the peace we are enjoying while as Ghanaians we remain each others keeper and contribute in our small way towards developing ourselves and the entire country.\

Obviously, it is the expectation of many that this year would be far better than last year. I pray that God grants me the strength and long life to be able to work to achieve all that I desire.
I believe that if all things go well with the oil discovery the way Ghanaians are anticipating, it will impact positively on our economy, particularly the banking sector as this would definitely help many people to achieve their targets.
Certainly, the oil boom is expected to bring in more money into the economy and hopefully this is expected to pass down to every Ghanaian.
With the level of competition in the banking sector presently, as a result of the newly emerging banks, those of us in the SG SSB have always maintained our standard as one of the best and so I expect all of us to work even harder to make our bank more better.
I also wish that all our dreams as individuals, families and friends are fulfilled within the year because as I speak now in as much as we are all contributing our quota to make the country what it is, it looks as if some of us did not reap the anticipated benefits last year. As such, it is my hope that this year be my year in which I grab opportunities that would come my way.
Indeed, I expect things to be far better for Ghanaians in terms of work, family issues and life in general so that as a people we can live peacefully without any problems.

It is my wish that this year there is a much improved attitude on the part of employers concerning the payment of contributions on behalf of employees.
In the same way, I expect that employees would also take advantage of the new pension scheme and acquaint themselves with documents covering the new scheme so that they become abreast with the new law and also correct and update their social security documentation.
Every year comes with its challenges but I expect 2010 to come with a lot of improvement in the lives of Ghanaians all over the country. At least we must be able as individuals to make ends meet and cater for our families.
I would not say that last year was bad except that I feel this year would be better. Last year, a few things did not go the way I wanted them and so it is my greatest expectation that this year I achieve my targets.
It my hope and prayer that the economy of Ghana improves to enable people have their heart’s desires.

I want the Government to sit up and address the needs of the citizenry because we are really suffering.
Since taking over the mantle, the Government has always shifted blame on the past administration for one thing or another and I think that all this is time wasting as we do not have much time on our side.
Already we are a year into the regime of the current Government and I expect that they do away with assurances and rather tackle the problems confronting the country.
So far, I am yet to feel the impact of any of the policies of the Government since it assumed power. I expect that this year it would honour its promises.
The single spine salary scheme is really dear to my heart and it is my expectation that at least I would benefit as I hear it is to be implemented in January this year but has been shifted to July. It is my hope that government would work hard at it.
With respect to the needs of teachers and the health sector I expect the Government to see these two sectors as very important and accord them all the necessary attention and support. I say this because currently our education system is nothing to write home about as standards are falling instead of improving.
It is the same with our health situation especially in the Upper West where some districts do not even have doctors or ambulances to transport patients from one health facility to another. I hope and pray that at least before the end of December 2010, there would be sharp improvement in these sectors as well as improvements in the roads linking Upper West to the Upper East and Northern regions so that travelling from Wa to any of these places will become easier and without any difficulties.

It is my expectation that before the year ends I will be promoted at my place of work and be hooked unto God. I also hope to intensify my church activities and help my family in which ever way I can.
I also expect to be given the chance to further my education and turn my entire life around for the better. Consequently, I expect government to tackle the issue of workers’ salary with all seriousness since money is the source of life.
I support efforts by the Government to bridge the economic gap between the north and the south while in addition it institutes measures to facilitate the process.
Unlike the previous year where the two major political parties seemed to be at each others throats, I expect that this year the two parties relate cordially with one another and with all the other political parties. It is very important that our politics was devoid of tensions and acrimony so that we could sustain the peace and tranquility that is existing.
One other major issue on my heart is the state of women in the country. I support all interventions by Government and other institutions to improve the lot of women and children and therefore I expect more to be done in this direction.
This is because women play very important roles in the development process of the country. When they are properly supported, it would go a long way to impact on children and entire families. That is not to say we should close our eyes to support and developmental issues that concern men.
I am convinced nonetheless, that issues concerning women and children really deserved maximum attention especially from central government since in my estimation not much has been done as a country in this direction.

No comments: