Friday, December 4, 2009

STUDENT COMMITS SUICIDE (PAGE 3, DEC 4)

A 24-year-old Level 300 student of the Wa campus of the University for Development Studies (UDS) has committed suicide, leaving behind a note that puts the blame on his family for forcing him into academia against his desire to become a sportsman.
Peter Apasiyenlom Amoah said in his suicide note that he had wanted to be a sportsman but his family had discouraged him.
"Frankly speaking, I was unfortunately born into a family which failed to encourage or realise my interest or potential, hence discouraging me from engaging in what brought me joy and satisfaction,” the note read.
Peter, who hailed from the Upper East Region, was found hanging in his room about 9 a.m. yesterday by a fellow student, Mr Kingston Apasiga, with whom he shared their rented compound.
When the Daily Graphic arrived at the scene about 10:40 a.m., the house had been besieged by a large crowd, including students, lecturers, the landlord of the house and other neighbours.
Mr Apasiga said when he and other students in the house woke up the following morning without hearing anything from their colleague about 9 a.m., he went to knock on Peter’s door but he did not hear any response.
He then peeped through the window, only to find the deceased hanging in the room and rushed to inform the school authorities.
Mr Apasiga said when the door was forced open, they found a note with the following message:
"There is not any such thing as perfection on earth and as a result I dissociate myself from any group or human beings. I did all this due to the pressure on me to remain or maintain neutrality but in effect I ended up secluded and locked up in my own world of absolute boredom.
"Any human being who failed to carve an identity in my opinion is bound to travel down a slippery slope resulting in inferiority complex and its associated misfortunes".
"But all in all, I blame my self for acting like a stooge or tabular rasta, playing or acting according to the whims and caprices of my people. Sorry for the pain caused and at this instance I find nothing worth living for again in life."

No comments: