Wednesday, August 5, 2009

WA SHS SPEAKS ON MATERNAL MORTALITY (JUNIOR GRAPHIC, PAGE 15)

My understanding of maternal mortality is when women die through childbirth. I believe that many women are dying through childbirth as a result of malnutrition.
Fortunately for me, I do not know any woman who died through childbirth but I hear of women dying while giving birth from other people.
I believe that the problem of maternal mortality could be solved if our health centres were equipped with the right professionals who can take proper care of pregnant women and also advise them on the dos and don’ts during pregnancy.
When this is done, at least, we could minimise these unfortunate deaths if not stop them entirely.


I know a young girl who died while giving birth. I learnt because her body was not fully developed, she had complications and died together with the baby.
I will, therefore, take this opportunity to advise all young girls not to indulge in pre-marital sex in order not to expose themselves to any danger.
I also think we need more gynaecologists to educate and advise our pregnant mothers on issues related to their pregnancies. When that is done, I am convinced we would achieve results.
Husbands also have to encourage their pregnant wives to go for regular ante-natal check-ups and not overwork their wives.

Maternal mortality is used to describe women who die during pregnancy or while giving birth.
Currently, the Upper West Region is said to be leading in terms of deaths related to pregnant women and children under five years in the country.
I think that when the road network across the region is improved and the nutrition as well as health of women is well catered for, a lot of gains will be made in this direction.
I will advise women to seek proper medical care when pregnant and also eat nutritious foods. These among other things will help reduce maternal mortality in the country.


There was this woman from Doli in the Bole District of the Northern Region who died while having her baby.
It was alleged that she died because she did not eat well before and even during the pregnancy. As a result, she developed complications during the pregnancy which consequently led to her death during delivery.
One of the causes of maternal deaths in the country is that some women work too hard. Up here in the north, for instance, a lot of women work very hard but do not eat well, therefore, their health is affected when they get pregnant.
I suggest that special diets are recommended for pregnant women when they visit the hospital. Pregnant women must also attend regular check-ups. There must be continuous public education to make women know what they have to do when pregnant to save their lives.

No comments: